Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Immortals of Immergoth

To the left is the cover of the upcoming Dark Worlds #3, which includes a story called Immortals of the Cannibal Coast--a piratical fantasy tale co-written by me and Martin Edward Stephenson.

Years ago I came across a couple of short stories he wrote at a website called Pulp and Dagger: Storm in a Jewel and Temple of the Mandricanth. Both were written in the present tense, which I find a bit awkward--but once I got past this I found the main characters, Rozak and Tarajel, quite engaging and Stephenson's use of language vivid and colorful.

After contacting Stephenson I discovered that he had a novel length manuscript featuring Rozak, and he asked me to read it and make some editing suggestions. In addition to the aforementioned qualities, I found that the fantasy milieu (one I named Immergoth when co-writing Immortals of the Cannibal Coast) that Stephenson uses borrowed a styling from Greek mythology that I found quite intriguing.

In Greek mythology the gods are always meddling with mortals for their own mostly selfish purposes-- for good or ill, but mostly ill. In Stephenson's milieu powerful immortals, gods and demi-gods, spend a lot of time meddling in mortal affairs. Immergoth is their sandbox to play in and the weakling mortals are their play pieces.

So when the opportunity arose to co-write a story with Martin Stephenson (I can't remember if he suggested it or if I suggested it) I leaped at the chance. We made Tarajel the protagonist and started the tale as her pirate ship was being blown onto the reefs of the Cannibal Coast with bloodthirsty nagas swimming in the surf--and let things get worse from there.

I hope to revisit Immergoth or a similar land some time, perhaps with a different character, just to see if he or she is able to handle the meddling of the demi-gods with the aplomb that Tarajel does in Immortals of the Cannibal Coast.

As soon as Dark Worlds #3 is available I'll let you know.

7 comments:

Martin Edward Stephenson said...

I would like to go on record that I HATE THE PRESENT TENSE VERSIONS of those 2 stories (an experiment gone awry) posted at Pulp & Dagger and have asked (without success) to have them removed and replaced with the much better narratives that Joel published on his Electronic Tales site. I was happy to have them accepted initially at P&D (I love those guys too...) but, sure wished someone had said something...but at the time I was flying solo.
Also: Joel just has a thing for Tarajel. Can't blame him though, I do too.
ps: Joel, if you kill the link to those horrid versions, I'll love you even more than I do now.

Martin Edward Stephenson said...

Oh, and another thing...thanks Joel very kind words.

You're gonna love my new Urnos tales. He travels Immergoth too, doing...stuff.

Martin Edward Stephenson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martin Edward Stephenson said...

One more thing...
'Immortals' was great fun and we turned out a great little roller-coaster, if I do say so myself.
The Greek mythos thing is an interesting eye-opener for me, but a cool insight, yet honestly subconscious (I guess). I see our villains in 'Immortals' (and in my head or in 'Immergoth') as Lovecraftian beings in (usually) humanoid form. I think they see the mortals as less than playthings. Which is scary to me. I can't wait for Dark Worlds readers to meet them.

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to reading those Urnos tales, Martin.

And the links have been killed.

Martin Edward Stephenson said...

Thanks buddy...
I'm kind of a perfectionist (well, I try) and the versions you accepted for E-tales I believe are far superior. Then maybe I'm just too sensitive, but you know what I mean. Sheesh, I gotta chill-out...

Anonymous said...

Hi Joel - I'd like to reach out to Martin and you. Can you please contact us at your earliest convenience? I don't want to leave an email here...please go to our feedback page at Swords.com and leave a note for Slasher, with an email where I can reach you. Thanks.