Friday, November 28, 2008

Earp and Crow

I recently finished a section of my fantasy novel, Through the Groaning Earth, and though I've still got a few portions to write to complete the entire novel it's currently sitting at a fairly respectable 98,000 words.

In the meantime, I've taken a break to get a couple or three smaller writing projects written and off to the respective publishers that are waiting for them.

The first of these is a collaborative project for me--a Western tale for an anthology being edited by Russ Anderson. I'm working on this with artist, designer, and creative savant Damon Orrell who has provided me with quite a bit of background research that he's done.

The tale involves the meeting of historical figures Lone Crow and Wyatt Earp during Earp's tenure as the barkeep for the Alaska Trading Company in Nome and while Crow was in the employ of Miskatonic University in search of a professor who went missing while researching a pre-Tlinget civilization uncovered near Lake Bennett, about 50 miles from Skaguay, Alaska.

I'm hoping to wrap up a draft of it this long Thanksgiving day weekend.

4 comments:

Ron Fortier said...

Damn, Joel, this looks to be a really terrific story. Keep us posted as to when the book is actually available.

Josh Reynolds said...

I agree with Ron...that story sounds quite cool.

Martin Edward Stephenson said...

Joel-

Earp and Mythos, nice. Morgan Earp's buried not far from here, they replaced his headstone back. Virgil lived in Colton and stood off a small army from atop rail car where two opposing train lines met in San Berdo for days. And that was with one good arm and not a shot fired.

God I love the Earps.

Sounds great.

Unknown said...

That is a great story about, Virgil. One I hadn't heard before. One thing is certain about the Earps, they were not to be messed with. And because they'd proven that fact, their reputation went a long ways.